Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dear Daniel: Hold Your Horses (and Books!)


Daniel,

How come we get calls in TR for books that have been placed on hold days before, and one of 2 scenarios happens - either they have not been pulled and are still on the shelf, or in some cases, they do not appear on the paging list?

Hold Your Horses (and Books!)


When I first started doing title pages I encountered the same thing, especially with customers coming in and asking why their holds are taking so long. The key factor I see is when the hold is placed using Item Level Holds (the HOLD SELECTED ITEM button). When an item is placed on hold using this, it means the customer has selected for that specific copy. If that specific copy is not on the shelf the hold will not catch on any copy but the one requested, which is why it would appear the item hadn't been pulled.. If we use the HOLD COPY RETURNED SOONEST button, it will catch any copy available.

Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment